Tag: Lavender Essential Oil
Why use Lavender Essential Oil ?
Lavender Essential Oil: Distillate prepared from flowering tops of lavendula species. There are many species of Lavandula out there. Of which the most commonly used Lavandula angustifolia is the classic lavender that most people are familiar with. It can also be found on the market as Common Lavender, French Lavender (when it comes from France), True Lavender, or Lavender. Lavendula Latifolia is well known as Spike lavender.
In case you are looking for health benefits you should not purchase oils labeled as “Scanted” OR “Fragrance” OR “Perfume oil” as they are synthetically prepared products.
Wonderful Benefits of Lavender Oil:
- Sleep Better with Lavender Oil: Putting a small amount of lavender oil to insomniac’s pillow helps troubled sleeper fall asleep fast. As this oil is known for its calming effect on nervous system.
- Treat Anxiety and stress: It has been found to have anxiolytic effects comparable to lorazepam (anti-anxiety drug) in small clinical studies. Marketed drugs for anxiety are known for withdrawal symptoms , drug dependency and abuse. Whereas opting aroma therapy with lavender oil will benefit even in long run
By inhaling 2 to 4 drops of lavender essential oil in 2 to 3 cups of boiling water anxiety symptoms allievate. It is known to improve depression in some people. You can also mix 1 to 4 drops of lavender essential oil with almond or olive oil and then use it for massage or to apply to pulse points on your body. You will have the scent with you for hours if you do this.
- As antiseptic: Due to its antibacterial and antifungal properties it is used as antiseptic since ancient times. Linalool present in lavender oil has analgesic and anti inflammatory properties so it can be used for cuts, scrapes , bug bites and as first aid for minor burns due to hot water accidents.
- For skin and scalp infections: Of all essential oils lavender oil is highly potent against (Methicillin-resistant) Staphylococcus aureus forms of infections. Staph is one of the principal bacteria causing acne. Lavender oil is also effective against fungi causing ringworm infection and athlete’s foot
For dermatitis or eczema: Mix few drops of lavender oil in coconut oil and massage regularly.
For athlete’s foot:
a) Soaking your feet a couple times a week in hot water that has Tea Tree and Lavender Oil added really gets rid of the fungus fast. Just add about 10 drops of Lavender and 7 drops of Tea Tree Oil to a basin large enough for both feet. Soak for a minimum of 20 minutes. Add more hot water if needed
b) Make a natural preventative spray using 1 cup of distilled water along with 10 drops of Lavender. Put this in a spray bottle and spray on feet after leaving the shower or gym prior to putting on socks and shoes.
For Dry and itchy Scalp: Add few drops of lavender oil in your shampoo and conditioner and use it.
For Acne: It is useful for treating acne caused due to bacterial infection. Applying undiluted form as spot treatment may cause skin irritation and exacerbate your acne. So add few drops in your moisturizer and use it. Lavender oil is more effective for acne scars than acne.
- Boosting hair growth: Studies have shown lavender oil’s effectiveness in treating alopecia. Regular massage for several months after admixing it with coconut oil stimulates hair growth.
Review of Lavender Essential oil:
I have been using this oil for quite some time. My first purchase was from Soulflower brand. I used around 3 bottles each 15ml for more than an year. I purchased it to treat acne and dandruff. Here is my experience with it
For acne I initially tried spot treatment without dilution. I couldn’t tolerate the strong smell of it and felt nauseous. From then I started using after sufficient dilution. 5drops in 1ml-2ml of grapeseed oil. Though It didn’t work for my acne it worked well for my acne scars. This I believe was also because of grapeseed oil which I used as carrier oil.
For dandruff : As long as I used it regularly dandruff was under control but the moment I stopped using it flakes reappeared. But it is much better and advisable than the newly marketed D-free lotion. The latter had horrible smell that made me nauseous. Moreover didn’t work for me in treating dandruff. So lavender oil any day over any marketed dandruff lotions.
AS sunscreen: I am completely averse to the idea of using Chemical sunscreens which have one or more chemicals including oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate and octinoxate. Though they effectively protect from UV rays they are known to form cell damaging radicals on absorption of sun rays
So I prefer using 5 drops of lavender in coconut oil or olive oil. This mixture acts as natural sunscreen and you are good to go under sun!! Unless you have plans to spend on a beach I suggest you to opt for natural sunscreens for daily use.
My later purchases were from the brand Aroma magic:
Hands down!! Lavender oil from aroma magic is pure bliss. Not just me even my mom loves it. She says It is very effective and soothing to treat headaches and relieve stress compared to soul flower lavender oil.
Coming back home from your work after travelling for more than an hour amidst heavy noisy traffic you would surely love to have a relaxing bath followed by a cup of coffee or tea. So do add few drops of lavender essential Oil to your bath water and it acts as complete stress reliever and also as anti microbial.
You can purchase it from Amazon. Here are the links
Soulflower Lavender Essential Oil
For US based people please check this link :Lavender Essential Oil
Disclaimer: The information contained on this blog is general in nature and for informational purposes. It is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional.